Thursday, January 15, 2009

PHUKET ISLAND


Phuket

After 3 days staying at Patong Beach, the party time/d bag/touristy/gross capital of Phuket Island I was ready to get out of there! I rented a motorbike and took 2 days to explore the whole island, and it is really fantastic. Around every turn is the most beautiful scenic view you can imagine, and it just doesn’t end!

I was able to go diving at Koh Doc Mai, Anemone Reef and Shark Point, where we swam for some minutes with a pretty good-sized leopard shark! Preeeety sweet man. Tomorrow I start my advanced diving course with underwater navigation and peak performance/buoyancy control, and then on Sunday I will do a wreck dive, deep dive, and an underwater photography dive.

Now I am staying with a German woman that I met on the couch surfing project (www.couchsurfing.com). She takes care of me and she cooks dinner every night! Not to mention her husband is a captain on cable laying ships so she has tons of stories for me. Also staying with her is a girl from Bend, OR and another German woman who is on a cycling tour from Austria through Asia!! (attn WADE: she’s 45 man if she can do it I know you can!!)

I meet up with Peter at the Marina either Sunday or Monday and I couldn’t be more excited!

Phuket Good:
Incredible beaches/viewpoints
Great weather!
Great Diving!
Very nice people and other travelers
AMAZING THAI FOOD!!
Beach babes ☺
Motorbike adventures!
Monkeys!

Phuket Bad:
Patong Beach
Awful cover band butchering Nirvana tunes (Kurt is rolling in his grave)
I DON”T WANT A ‘MASSAGE’, ‘ARMANI SUIT’ or a TUK TUK!!

Mostly Good ☺

I miss Portland a lot but I’m having the time of my life!

Love Willy

7 comments:

  1. willy, you know when i kept saying "dont go". well it sounds like your living it up so i am kinda glad you went...now get your ass back here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! And the REAL adventure hasn't even begun yet! Butchered Nirvana - that sure invokes a cacophony of sounds and sights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are really incredible. Aren't you glad you got that great camera?
    Also, I PROBABLY don't want to know what a tuk tuk is, right!??? And tell them you already have that Armani Suit stashed away somewhere in Vancouver.
    I love that you're doing this but I really miss you. Have fun in your diving class.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds awesome! Are you learning more german than thai?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know Willy. A "tuk tuk" still sounds like something you should avoid! Hope all is well and we'll be following your adventures from here! Love you and be safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. i dont know man, i think you should have gotten a massage and an armani suit, even if it wasn't real. but no tuk tuk. thats dumb.

    ReplyDelete